For the Cake:
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
½ cup raisins
1 cup canola oil
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 cups granulated sugar
For the Frosting:
4 ounces (½ cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 pound (3¾ cups) powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1. Function the racks in the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9×2-inch round cake pans. Put two pans on one baking sheet and one on yet another.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice and salt. In a further bowl, stir collectively the carrots, chopped nuts, coconut and raisins.
3. Within the bowl of a stand mixer equipped with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar and oil together on medium pace unless soft. Add the eggs one at a time, and continue to beat except the batter is even smoother. Scale back the pace to low and add the flour blend, mixing simplest except the dry elements disappear. Gently mix in the chunky materials. Divide the batter among the many three baking pans.
4. Bake for forty to 50 minutes, rotating the pans from high to backside and entrance to back at the midway factor, unless a thin knife inserted into the facilities comes out easy; the cakes may have simply started to return away from the sides of the pans. Transfer the cakes to cooling racks and cool for approximately 5 minutes, then run a knife around the aspects of the desserts and unmold them. Invert and funky to room temperature proper aspect up. (The desserts can also be wrapped airtight and saved at room temperature overnight or frozen for as much as 2 months.)
5. To make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter together until soft and creamy. Regularly add the sugar and proceed to beat unless the frosting is velvety tender. Beat within the vanilla extract unless good-combined.
6. To collect, stack the layers, spreading a generous amount of frosting between layers and then quilt the top and sides. Garnish and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes earlier than serving.
*notice 1: if you like a significant layer of frosting between layers, i’d in general use 1.5 occasions the portions in the frosting recipe. An excessive amount of frosting is continuously a lot better than now not ample
*notice 2: covered, the cake will preserve at room temperature for two to three days.